Click thumbnail to magnify image then click image to shrink it.
Located near Steingaden, near the southern end of the Romantic Road, is the fabulous Wieskirche, or Wies Church - also known as "the church in the meadow." The church and its bucolic location, truly in the middle of the countryside, provide a strong feeling of reverence and awe.
The history of Wieskirche began on June 14, 1738 when tears were seen on a wooden statue of the crucified Christ. The news quickly spread and masses of pilgrims from all over the world began traveling to Wieskirche to see the statue and to worship and pray. In 1740, a small chapel, still on the property today, was built to house the statue and to accomodate the visiting worshippers.
As the number of pilgrims visiting the site greatly exceeded the small dwelling, the nearby Steingaden monastery decided to build a church - the current Wieskirche. The magnificient baroque structure was designed and built by Dominikus Zimmermann in the 1740s. Zimmermann so loved Wieskirche that he could not bear to leave it, so he built himself a small house next to the church, where he lived until his death.
Wieskirche is one of the most famous baroque churches in the world and is filled with awesome Rococo sculptures and frescos. Each year thousands of people from around the world visit Wieskirche. Many come to appreciate the baroque architecture and intricate Rococo artwork. Others come as those did in days past, to experience the spiritual power of Wieskirche and to worship, pray, and to seek meaning and direction in their lives.
In 1983, Wieskirche was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Wieskirche is a functioning church and celebrates regular worship services throughout the week. Days and times vary by season, but a schedule can be found on the official Wieskirche listed below. Concerts are also held in the church at various times during the year.
Visit the official Wieskirche website for more information. There is an English version of the site available.